WELCOME TO YOUR NEXT FAMILY ADVENTURE
Are you ready to discover how easy it is to get around town on one of our electric assist family cargo bikes?
The City of Santa Monica is initiating an electric assist family cargo bike loaner program beginning in the 2020/21 school year. The program will allow parents of kids at eligible schools to check out a family cargo bike for a one-week trial period at no cost to the participants. This is a collaborative project between the City of Santa Monica Safe Routes to School department, The Bike Center, and Sustainable Streets.
Be part of the solution! Ditch the car and help reduce motorized queues at school drop-off and pick-up zones.
Active transport that provides a swift and healthy alternative for routine trips to schools and for local errands.
Zero-emission and environmentally friendly transport that is good for your family and better for our community.
This program is available to parents and legal guardians over the age of 18 who have a child enrolled in one of the following SMMUSD schools:
- Grant Elementary
- Muir Elementary
- Roosevelt Elementary
- McKinley Elementary
- YMCA Santa Monica Child Development Center
- Edison Language Academy
- Franklin Elementary
FAMILY CARGO BIKE LIBRARY
Urban Arrow Family Cargo
The ultimate family eBike for shuttling up to three small kids in the front bucket. It’s also perfect for running local errands with or without the kids.
Urban Arrow Shorty
The short wheel base handles much like a regular bike with the added benefit of up to 187 pounds carrying capacity in the cargo space. The electric assist drive makes it easy to shuttle your gear and one kid on Yepp seat attached to rear rack.
Ride with up to three small children on the dual benches and still have room for backpacks and school gear. Always have the wind at your back thanks to the electric pedal assist and step-less gear shifting!
Xtracycle Edgerunner eSwoop
This bike can do it all. One adult rider can take up to two children for a family ride, or use the cargo features to run errands. The electric assist Xtracycle is a versatile bike, easily accommodating riders from 5′ to 6’2″ in height (152cm to 188cm).
HOW IT WORKS
- Your child must attend an eligible school.
- Information that will be collected to schedule your trial period include:
- Name of parent or legal guardian.
- Home address, email and phone. Your personal information will only be shared with program administrators.
- Eligible school your child attends (this will be verified).
- Preferred bike (first choice, second choice).
- The date you would like to begin the one-week trial.
- Appointments for test rides and/or sign-ups must be made in advance for Tues/Weds/Thurs/Friday’s. We cannot accommodate weekend test rides or sign-ups at the moment.
- Check out a bike, keep it secure with the provided lock, and ride safe by wearing a helmet.
Fulfillment will be managed by Sustainable Streets and eligible participants will be chosen on a first-come, first-served basis. We will do our best to allocate the participants first bike choice.
- Secure overnight storage, participants will be responsible for all equipment during the trial period. Parking the bike outside overnight is not recommended, please consider your options for securing the equipment before registering.
- Participants assume full responsibility for all equipment and will agree to pay for lost, stolen, or damaged bikes at replacement cost.
- Participants must sign a waiver and agree to a security hold on a credit card to check out any equipment.
- Participants will ideally pick up and return the bike and accessories at The Bike Center, 1555 2nd Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401. Delivery to participants can be arranged, weekends & holidays excluded.
Ready to get rolling? Please contact us(opens in a new tab) to enter your information. Our program administrator will follow up with an email or call to answer any questions and schedule your trial dates.